The Archaeological Museum of Ibiza and Formentera (also known as MAEF) has two locations, one of which is located in Dalt Vila (Chapel of El Salvador) and the other in the Punic necropolis of Puig des Molins (in fact it is a monographic museum on the same
THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM OF IBIZA
The Archaeological Museum is the institution that preserves, researches and exhibits the material remains of the historical past of the islands of Ibiza and Formentera. It is divided into two locations, both located in the city of Ibiza. The Archaeological Museum of Ibiza and Formentera, whose museum content covered three thousand years of history of the Pitiusas, from the first settlers to the Catalan conquest of 1235. It is located in an emblematic place, within the walled city of Dalt Vila, in its highest area known as Cathedral Square. Around it there are a whole series of historical buildings, such as the Castle, the Episcopal Palace, the Curia House, the old Lonja, now converted into a viewpoint (from where you can see incredible views of the La Marina neighborhood, the port and the modern widening of the city), and the church of Santa Maria, constituted in Cathedral in 1785.
The Monographic Museum of Puig des Molins, is located in the archaeological site of the Necropolis of Puig des Molins and is a great interpretive center of it, as well as a point of reception and reception of visitors. In the Monographic Museum of Puig des Molins, the visitor will be able to know both the history of the site and the most important archaeological materials that the necropolis has provided, duly explained and contextualized.
The Archaeological Museum of Ibiza and Formentera, in Dalt Vila, offers a vision of 3,000 years of Pitiusa history, beginning with the first settlers and ending in the Catalan conquest of the 13th century. The exhibition consists of about 600 pieces, among which you can see Phoenician, Punic, Roman and Islamic ceramics, as well as sculptures, sarcophagi or jewels, among other objects, found in the excavations carried out in the Pitiüses since the early twentieth century and collected by the Ebusitana Archaeological Society.
The Museum occupies two historic buildings of the Plaça de la Catedral and the casemate of the Santa Tecla bastion. The entrance takes place through the old Chapel of El Salvador, in the Gothic style and headquarters of the guild of sailors. Then, the former headquarters of the University, the government of the islands for 500 years (s. XIII-XVIII). This institution was governed by three powers or jurats, which represented the three social classes of the time: the bourgeois, the merchants and the countrymen; that is, the people who worked the field. This management system, which has left a deep mark on the Ibizan society, was suppressed by King Felipe V in 1717, when the current town halls were created. The shield carved at the entrance of the Museum represents the government of the University.
The Archaeological Museum also has another headquarters, in the Necropolis of Puig des Molins, where multiple pieces found in the different archaeological sites of the island are exhibited, including the famous bust of the goddess Tanit.
HOW TO GET?:
The Archaeological Museum is located in Plaça de la Catedral and can be accessed from any entrance to Dalt Vila. The closest is the Soto Fosc tunnel.
Monographic Museum Puig des Molins, Tuesday to Saturday:
From 04/01 to 09/30: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
From 1/10 to 31/3: 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Sundays, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Archaeological Museum of Dalt Vila, Temporarily closed for Works